In 2021, with a staggering 25.7% global unemployment rate among people ages 15-24, online jobs offer a much-needed reprieve. Teenagers do not have to contend with the traditional office work confines anymore. Instead, they can venture into working online while making a decent income on their own time. Online jobs also provide an opportunity for teenagers to learn essential skills that enhance their resume as they pursue other professional endeavors. In some cases, online jobs can serve as a stepping stone to set an entrepreneurial path, freelancing or to invest and venture into other business ventures. For those who have the discipline to face the variance of online work, the range of options is unlimited. From writing and editing to online surveys and virtual assistant jobs, graphic designing jobs, language tutoring, all the way to making money through YouTube videos, teenagers can leverage these opportunities to make a substantial income online.
Freelance Writing and Editing Jobs
Teens who possess great writing, grammar and spell-checking skills can venture online for these jobs. Some options they can consider under this category include:
- Ghostwriting articles, blog posts or eBooks
- Editing and proofreading written content
- Managing social media pages such as Facebook, Twitter, and TikTok on behalf of small businesses or individual clients
Prerequisites for freelance writing:
- A good command of written English
- Research skills to deliver factual and engaging content
- A reliable computer, internet connection and word processing software
Tools for freelance writing:
They can explore these tools:
- Grammarly – for writing and editing assistance
- WordPress – for blogging or web content creation
- Google Docs – for real-time collaboration, sharing and cloud-storage
How do I start freelance writing and editing?
Starting a career in freelance writing and editing is easy if you follow these simple steps:
- Develop a portfolio of writing samples that showcase your skills in the niche or field you want to specialize in
- Create a professional website to showcase your portfolio and services
- Network with potential clients and other freelance writers through social media platforms like LinkedIn and Twitter
- Familiarize yourself with freelance marketplaces like Upwork and Freelancer where clients post job opportunities for freelancers
- Apply for job opportunities and submit proposals that reflect your expertise and writing style
Remember that starting any business takes time and effort, but with perseverance, you can become a successful freelance writer and editor.
Online Surveys and Virtual Assistant Jobs
Teens can get creative with their service offerings online by exploring these options:
|Survey Websites||Virtual Assistant Platforms|
Perks of taking online surveys and being a virtual assistant:
Teens can enjoy the following benefits from these jobs:
- Flexibility to work from school
- No experience required to earn surveys, only factual information
- Training programs offered on virtual assistant portals to enhance their skill sets
Virtual assistant responsibilities:
- Managing emails, phone calls or social media inquiries on behalf of clients
- Maintaining office and work schedules
- Assisting in online research or data entry tasks
How do I become a virtual assistant online?
To become a virtual assistant, here are the steps you can follow:
- Identify your skillset – determine what services you can offer virtually.
- Create a website or online portfolio that highlights your skills, experience, and services.
- Consider registering to freelance platforms such as Upwork, Freelancer, or Fiverr to start building your client base.
- Set your rates based on your skills and service offerings.
- Network with potential clients through social media, online forums, and professional associations.
- Follow best practices for working remotely and building client relationships to ensure success as a virtual assistant.
There are numerous courses and online resources available that can help you learn how to become a virtual assistant. Some great examples are the Virtual Savvy and Gina Horkey’s 30 Days or Less to Virtual Assistant Success courses.
Promoting Products on Social Media
Popular Social Media Platforms for Affiliate Marketing:
Teenagers can earn extra cash in the following popular websites:
Dos and Don’ts of promoting products on social media:
- Do be honest and transparent about sponsored posts
- Do promote products that fit your niche interests, and that will resonate with your audience
- Don’t overpromote products and spam your audience with several posts a day
- Don’t forget to provide clear disclosures of your relationship with sponsors in your posts
There are various easy-to-use platforms that teens can use to find affiliate marketing opportunities. These include ClickBank and Commission Junction. Some retail companies may also enlist affiliates from within their websites, so it’s worth checking out your favorite online stores too.
Do you need a social media platform for affiliate marketing?
If you are a beginner in affiliate marketing, you may wonder whether having a social media platform is essential. Here are things to consider:
- Having a social media account can help you reach a broader audience
- Social media can help you build brand awareness and trust
- You should choose a social media platform that fits your niche and target audience
- Social media may not be the only way to promote your affiliate products, and you can also use blogs, newsletters, or YouTube channels
Ultimately, having a social media platform can be beneficial but not necessary for affiliate marketing. The key is to choose your promotional channels wisely, create valuable content, and target the right audience.
Graphic Designing Jobs
Projects that Teens can Handle without Graphic Design Experience:
Even without any graphic design experience, there are various types of projects that teens can handle such as:
- Creating social media posts for a local business
- Designing a banner image for a blog or website
- Designing flyers or posters for a charity or non-profit
Platforms that Offer Graphic Design Jobs to Teenagers:
There are several platforms that offer graphic design jobs to teenagers, including:
It’s important to note that while these jobs may not require formal graphic design experience, it’s still recommended to have some basic knowledge of design principles and software tools such as Adobe Photoshop or Canva. Free online graphic design courses are available to get you started, including Khan Academy and Coursera.
How can I do graphic design with no experience?
To do graphic design with no experience, you can try the following:
- Watch online tutorials on YouTube or Skillshare that teach design basics and software skills
- Practice by creating designs for non-profit organizations, friends or family members
- Use free graphic design software like GIMP or Canva to experiment and create designs
- Join design communities on social media or forums to get feedback and learn from other designers
Some products that may help in learning graphic design include Canva, Adobe Creative Suite, and Inkscape.
Language Tutoring Jobs
Ways Teenagers can Leverage their Multilingual Skills:
If you are a teen who is bilingual, multilingual or proficient in any other language, you can leverage your language skills to become a tutor. Here are a few ways to do so:
- Offer to tutor friends or peers in your language of proficiency
- Advertise tutoring services at local schools, community centers or cultural organizations
- Join language tutoring platforms that connect tutors with learners all over the world
Platforms that Offer Language Tutoring Opportunities for Teenagers:
There are numerous platforms that offer language tutoring opportunities for teenagers. These include:
Some platforms may require prior teaching experience or language proficiency certification. However, some platforms also provide training and support to tutors.
What platforms do you tutor on?
I provide tutoring services on the following platforms:
- Google Meet
- Microsoft Teams
In addition, I also offer personalized coaching on my website through email and private messaging on various social media platforms.
Freelancing online can be an excellent venture for teens who want to learn new skills and earn some extra cash. There are numerous options available, and teenagers can select a job that best suits their interests and skills. From freelance writing to graphic design, there are a plethora of freelance opportunities online. Moreover, promoting products on social media or making money through YouTube is an excellent way to use platforms that are already used daily. However, before delving into it, teenagers should conduct thorough research to have an awareness of the potential downsides and pitfalls of each job type.
In conclusion, online jobs offer tremendous opportunities for teenagers to learn, earn and gain valuable work experience while also enjoying the flexibility and convenience that comes with working remotely. With a bit of creativity and determination, any teenager can make it work with the right mindset, considering that most of the online freelance jobs do not need prior experience or education requirements to sign up for them.